Ten Immediate Benefits of Mainframe z/OS Common Install
Over the past year we have been introducing changes to the process of installing and configuring our products, including our new Common Parmlib facility designed to simplify customization and make it easier to deploy our products across systems.
Yesterday, IBM announced enhancements and futures for SMPE, Product ServPac and z/OSMF to support a mechanism that all mainframe software vendors can use to simplify and standardize the installation process.
IBM’s announcement perfectly coincides with our desire to reduce complexity by creating industry standards for packaging products and a workflow to identify and coordinate installation and customization tasks. It has been a pleasure to be an active contributor to this project.
Top Ten Benefits
Here are ten benefits we expect customers to gain through this common install project:
- The install method will be the same for IBM and participating ISVs
- The Common Installer app will be native to z/OS and always available
- The app has a modern interface running under z/OS Websphere Liberty
- The app provides a checklist of steps to follow to install, configure, deploy, and verify products
- Tasks can be delegated to different resources
- Users can add their own tasks and notes
- Task checklists are ordered sequentially, but can be filtered by skill (task type) or assignee
- Tasks show the exact status of the install with a percent-complete indicator
- Users can resume or review at any time, and re-do steps if desired
- Completed workflows can be used as a reference to what options were selected and the results of steps performed
IBM, Compuware, and other major ISVs are participating in and supporting this important initiative, adding tremendous value to the entire mainframe ecosystem. We at Compuware would love your input as well. If you’re interested in providing feedback and/or seeing some of our preliminary prototypes, please contact your Compuware Sales Rep or Account Consultant to arrange a meeting.
Stay tuned for further exciting announcements!
Latest posts by Keith Sisson (see all)
- Sharing Compuware’s Two Platform IT Approach at SHARE San Jose - March 8, 2017
- Ten Immediate Benefits of Mainframe z/OS Common Install - October 5, 2016
- Agile Development vs. ITIL: Dawn of Justice - December 23, 2015