How to Achieve DevOps Success in “10 Steps to True Mainframe Agility”
Whether to accelerate delivery, become more adaptable to shifting business priorities or increase productivity, there’s a growing willingness from companies to transform their mainframes with Agile and DevOps processes. However, the urge to improve these processes is often limited by an uncultivated understanding of how and where to begin the journey.
For companies seeking a flexible guide to Agile transformation, Compuware’s new eBook “10 Steps to True Mainframe Agility” provides them with a proven and phased approach leading to enterprise DevOps success.
The ten steps in this phased approach are:
- Define your goals
- Modernize your development environment
- Adopt automated unit testing
- Gain graphical, intuitive visibility into existing code and data structure
- Enable earlier detection of application quality issues and establish quality KPIs
- Train people in and Adopt Agile processes
- Use operational data throughout the development, testing and production lifecycle
- Agile-enable core source code management functions
- Automate deployment
- Establish Cross-platform continuous delivery
It’s a Flexible Approach
The beauty of this mainframe transformation approach is found in its flexibility. No organization is alike; therefore, it’s impossible to expect every enterprise to adopt the same game plan.
For example, it’s possible your organization has already defined its goals—achieving agility, increasing confidence in code changes and/or improving integration of mainframe and non-mainframe DevOps processes, among others. It’s also possible you’ve already begun implementing visualization in your development environment but there are gaps between that you need help filling.
Regardless of where you are on your transformation journey, “10 Steps to True Mainframe Agility” was designed to be modifiable and flexible, just as Agile and DevOps are.
Necessary Tools and Success Indicators
In addition to being flexible, the guide also includes suggestions for modern development tools that enable Agile processes to work. After all, outdated, Waterfall-focused tools can’t possibly support a lightweight and efficient framework like Agile or enable cross-platform DevOps integrations.
In this guide for a successful Agile transformation on the mainframe, you’ll be prescribed DevOps-friendly toolsets that make it possible to implement each phase of this transformation approach. Additionally, each phase provides success indicators that serve as signposts to help you see if things are transforming as intended throughout the journey.
As the paper concludes, mainframe evolution doesn’t cease once agility and cross-platform integration of your DevOps workflows are achieved. Rather, transformation of your mainframe should be continuous if you expect it to remain flexible with the constant shifts of our digital world.
To learn more, read “10 Steps to True Mainframe Agility.” No matter where you are in your transformation process, you’ll gain a better perspective of your goals, the steps you need to take, what tools are best to drive your transformation and what success indicators you should be looking for.
Latest posts by editor (see all)
- How One Insurance Company Is Transitioning Its Mainframe to DevOps - June 1, 2017
- How to Achieve DevOps Success in “10 Steps to True Mainframe Agility” - February 16, 2017
- Reducing MTTR on z/OS Using Syncsort Ironstream and Compuware Abend-AID with Splunk - February 7, 2017